General > Tealing History Timeline
Tealing History Timeline

<Back to Tealing History

This section records, in date order, significant known events in Tealing's history. For easy reference, it presents a snapshot of what has been chronicled in various books and journals through the ages, alongside updates from recent times.

100 AD - There is evidence of an early Pictish settlement in the area near a soutterain now known as Tealing Earthhouse, west of Tealing Home Farm

710  - At the invitation of Nechtan, King of the Picts, the papal missionary Boniface comes to Scotland to help harmonise the Celtic Church with that of Rome. He founds churches at Invergowrie, Felin (Tealing) and Restenneth

1174 - Hugh Giffard of Tealing is one of the hostages for the release of King William (the Lion) I of Scotland.

1175 - Hugh Giffard is popular at the court of William (the Lion) 1 of Scotland and is bestowed the grant of Tealing from the monarch. His eldest son is William Giffard and, together, they give the church of Tealing to the priory of St Andrews

1199 - The priory of St Andrews is to hold the lands of Pitpointie, which had also been gifted to it by Hugh Giffard, as long as it holds the Church of Tealing

1275 - The Church of Tealing is disjoined from the diocese of St Andrews and annexed to the diocese of Dunkeld. The parson of Tealing, in Roman Catholic and Episcopalian times, holds the office of Archdeacon of Dunkeld Cathedral

1380 - The date of one of the earliest known piece of Scots inscription anywhere in Scotland. It was originally in the foundations of the old Tealing Church, and is now on the north wall inside the current church. Translated, it reads "Here lies Ingram of Kethenys, Priest, Master in Arts, Archdeacon of Dunkeldyn"

1409 - Robert, Duke of Albany Regent, confirms the charter of the lands of Yester and Tealing by Euphamie Giffart, daughter and heir of the late Hugh Giffart, to Dungall McDowale

1427 - Dungallas Makdowal, by Charter at Rossie Priory, records the transfer of the Barony of Telyn (Tealing) to his blood relative Eustace Maxwell, son of Sir William Maxwell of Caerlaverock, and husband of Agnes, daughter of Sir John Gifford (descendant of Hugh Giffard) Eustace is the first Maxwell of Tealing

1430 - The House at Tealing is owned successively through the 1400s by the Maxwell family. At this stage it is probably a fortified house in the style of the later Powrie Castle

1445 - Robert (or James) Maxwell of Tealing is slain fighting on the side of the Ogilvies at the Battle of Arbroath

1483 - William Maxwell of Tealing is one of the jury at the inheritance of service of John Carnegie of Kinnaird

1508 - Thomas Maxwell of Tealing is Sheriff Depute of Forfar

1508 - Sir William Maxwell of Tealing, Knight, is one of the assize at the service of John Carnegie of Kinnaird

1553 - Alexander Maxwell of Tealing, Magistrate, is charged with reset and the freeing of the thief, Andro Cosyne

1561 - Adam Fowlie becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1567 - Andrew Gibb becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1572 - Alexander Maxwell of Tealing, along with his son David, is charged with reset and communing with rebels

1575 - Alexander Maxwell of Tealing dies and is laid to rest in Tealing Churchyard

1584 - Elizabeth, daughter of the late Thomas Maxwell, marries Gilbert Strachan, the younger, of Claypotts

1590 - John Ramsay becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1595 - Tealing Dovecot is built by Sir David Maxwell, it features his coat of arms and that of his wife, Lady Helen

1600 - Tealing House, which still exists today is constructed and the original Tealing Home Farmhouse is built

1600 - The chapel in the grounds of Tealing House is demolished and consecrated stones, taken from it, are built into the walls of the new Tealing Farmhouse for ornamental purposes

1601 - Sir David Maxwell of Tealing is one of the four parties to approve of the weddings of sisters Isabella and Helen Strachan of Carmyllie (the daughters of Isabel Maxwell)

1609 - Hugh Maxwell inherits the lands and Barony of Tealing from his father Sir David Maxwell

1618 - Archdeacon of Dunkeld, John Ramsay, dies and his magnificent tombstone is placed in Tealing Church, where it remains today

1623 - Alexander Bruce becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1631 - Patrick Maxwell inherits the Barony of Tealing from his father George Maxwell

1639 - Lady Helen Maxwell of Tealing, widow of Sir David Maxwell, dies and is laid to rest in Tealing Graveyard. Her gravestone bears the arms of the Maxwell, Barclay, Gordon and Ogilvy families.

1648 - Sir Patrick Maxwell , son of George Maxwell of Newark, inherits the church land called Prieston of Tealing and the tithes in the Parish of Tealing

1650 - John Campbell becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1665 - Patrick Makgill becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1682 - Tealing House is described as a "good house, well planted and good yards" by Ochterlony

1684 - John Lyon becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1693 - Thomas Maxwell of Tealing dies and is laid to rest in Tealing Churchyard

1694 - Sir Patrick Maxwell of Tealing inherits the lands and Barony of Tealing from his father Sir Patrick Maxwell

1701 - Sir Patrick Maxwell of Tealing dies and the male line fails. George Napier of Kilmahon makes up a crown title and succeeds as heir to Tealing

1704 - George Napier makes over the barony of Tealing to John Scrymscure (late Provost of Dundee) and his son, also called John Scrymscure

Early 1700s - A major extension is installed to the central N face of Tealing House

1708 - Hugh Maxwell becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1719-1728  - The Rev. John Glas is Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1728 - The Rev. John Glas is suspended by the Synod of Angus & Mearns and later forms a breakaway church known as the Glassites, creating one of the greatest upheavals in the history of the Scottish church

1730 - An artificial cave or subterraneous passage, also known as a weem, is discovered a little west of Tealing House, and is covered up

1731 - John Stewart becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1760 - The sandy hillock on the farm of Balkemback, within the circle of large round stones that evidence a Druidical temple, is opened up and reveals stone coffins and early human remains

1761 - Patrick Scrymsoure of Tealing marries Isobel Coutts of the celebrated Coutts banking family

1764 - John Gellatly becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1780 - The Water Mill, known as the Old Mill, is built adjacent to the Tealing Burn at Tealing Home Farm. Not long afterwards, the road bridge over Tealing Burn is built just along the road.

1781 - John Stewart becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1790 - An ancient subterraneous building of very irregular construction is discovered on the farm of Prieston

1797 - Walter Tait becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1803 - Tealing Church manse is built

1806 - Old Tealing Church is demolished and antiquities, taken from it, are built into the replacement church

1808 - The Tealing Church (that still stands today) is built

1814 - Charles Aidie becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1815 - Patrick Scrymsoure of Tealing dies, aged 66 years, and his estate goes to his son-in-law James Fothringham of Powrie (husband of his daughter Marion) who then takes the name of Scrymsoure Fothringham

1822 - Isobel Scrymsoure, wife of Patrick Scrymsoure dies aged 61 years

1823 - James Scott, mason, builds a semi-sunken ice house on the east bank of Tealing burn near Tealing Home Farm, for the preservation of meat and other supplies

1826 - Tealing Home Farm farmhouse is converted to stables and coach house by James Pirnie, mason.

1827 - George Tod becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1827-29 - Tealing House is extended and" aggrandised" by Mr William Burn, under the supervision of Mr James Black of Dundee

1830 - Peter Balfour becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1835 - David Barclay Mellis becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1837 - James Scrymsoure Fothringham of Tealing and Powrie, dies aged 52 years

1843 - The Free Church in Tealing is built on a site on the Huntingfaulds Road, Minister David Barclay Mellis

1843 - William Elder becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1861 - Duncan Turner becomes Minister of the Free Church in Tealing

1862 - Walter Thomas Scrymsoure Fothringham, son of Colonel Thomas Frederick Scrymsoure Fothringham is born in Algiers, Africa

1864 - Colonel Thomas Frederick Scrymsoure Fothringham dies aged 27

1871 - Tealing Earth House is discovered by local geologist and estate land steward, Mr Walter McNicoll

1873 - Compulsory education at Tealing Public School is established

1875 - Mrs Marion Fothringham Scrymsoure dies in Nice, France and is buried in the family vault at the Murroes

1883 - Neil S Elder becomes Minister of the Free Church in Tealing

1884 - Walter Thomas James Scrymsoure Fothringham comes of age and takes over the Powrie Tealing estate

1889-Samuel Macaulay becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1908 - The Tealing Geologist, Mr Walter McNicoll dies aged 81 years. His obituary and remembrance is presided over by the Rev Elder of the Tealing United Free Church

1909 - The Tealing Bazaar is commemorated in poetry by Mr H Lamont

1909 -  Tealing Women's Guild is established

1913 - Tealing Parish Hall, on a site diagonally opposite the Old Schoolhouse in the sharp bend on the Tealing Aucherhouse Road, opens with a concert and a dance to celebrate the event

1913 - Robert Don (of the Don Brothers Buist family) occupies Tealing House and later dedicates a memorial seat in Tealing to the memory of his two sons who died during World War I

1921 - The Tealing War Memorial is unveiled at a Dedication Service presided over by Rev D S Macaulay

1923 - Tealing House is occupied by Edmund C Cox of the Dundee jute family

1924 - Tealing WRI is established

1925 - Ian Forbes McCulloch becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1929 - The Tealing Free Church closes and the congregation merges to worship at Tealing Parish Church

1929 - James Alexander Sutherland Wilson becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1930 - Walter Thomas James Scrymsoure Fothringham dies and the estate is inherited by his son Thomas Steuart Fothringham, Esquire of Powrie Fothringham and Tealing

1937 - The "Coronation Gate" at Petterden, and the nearby land featuring a roundel of trees, is donated to the Tealing Community by the Fothringham family to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

1937 - The estate of Tealing is sold to the Department of Agriculture, for £23,497, to meet the death duties of Thomas Steuart Fothringham

1938 - The Department of Agriculture leases the land in Tealing for 41 small holdings

1939-45 - The Tealing Home Guard meets at the Tealing Hall

1940 - Tealing House is used as billets for the WAFFs

1941 - Emmanuel Wood becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1941 - No 56 RAF Officer Training Unit moves from Sutton Bridge to the Tealing Aerodrome

1942 - The Russian General, Molotov, lands at Tealing Airfield in a TB7 four­ engined aircraft, on a military mission to see Churchill

1942 - The Reverend Edmund Parke becomes RAF Chaplain at Tealing

1945 - The RAF Unit at Tealing is disbanded and is placed on care and maintenance under the wing of RAF Montrose

1945-88 - Tealing House is owned by Mr William Bowie and a successful market garden is operated in the grounds

1947 - The Old Tealing Hall is burned to the ground

1949 - The present Tealing Hall is opened on Feb 9th. It had previously been used as a gymnasium, cinema and chapel for the servicemen and women from the aerodrome

1949 - Charles Hugh Brew Harkness becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1953 - Tealing celebrates the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth with a full day of events including a sports tournament, a fancy dress parade for the children and a slap up meal in the village hall. The festivities are recorded on cine film for posterity

1954 - The council houses are built in Inveraldie and many move out of the old RAF huts into the new houses

1958 - William Charles Smith becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1962 - James Kidd becomes Minister of Tealing Parish Church

1963 - Tealing parish church is linked with Murroes Church under the Ministry of Rev. J Kidd

1972 - Tealing Primary School celebrates its centenary and one hundred years of compulsory schooling in Scotland, by staging a "Victorian" school exhibition

1975 - Tealing becomes part of the District of the City of Dundee, having previously been in the jurisdiction of Angus County Council

1983 - Tealing Parish Church closes when the congregations of Tealing and Murroes unite and worship moves to Murroes Parish Church

1985 - The dual carriageway (now the A90) through Tealing opens

1988 - Mr G Thomson becomes the owner of Tealing House

1996 - Due to local government re-organisation, Tealing returns to the jurisdiction of Angus Council

1998 - Calum McDonald, Scottish Office Minister for Transport, visits Tealing in response to the Tealing Community Council Campaign for safety enhancements

1998 - Improved signage, warning of pedestrians, is installed on the A 90

1999 - Speed cameras are installed on the stretch of the A 90 through Tealing

1999 - "Gateway" and "drive safely" signage is installed on the Tealing/ Auchterhouse Road through the village

1999 - Nursery education is offered at Tealing Primary School for the first time

2000 - Tealing celebrates the Millennium by installing a permanent photographic exhibition of "Tealing Through the Ages" in Tealing Hall and publishing the book "Tealing the Gateway to Angus" by Sandra J Burke. Both are launched at a celebratory event in Tealing Hall on 3 June 2000, which several hundred people and the Provost of Angus attend. 500 copies of the books sell out within a year, making a healthy contribution to Tealing Community Council funds.

<Back to Tealing History

Copyright 2010 Tealing Community Council. All Rights Reserved.

Tealing is a small village in Angus in the north east of Scotland. This community website contains lots of useful information, including more details on Tealing Community Council, Tealing Hall, Tealing School, Tealing WRI, Tealing Guild, Tealing line dancing, Tealing church services, Tealing Wednesday club, Tealing businesses, properties for sale in Tealing and Tealing events etc.

Website Designed & Maintained by Macbritnett

This website is powered by Britnett Web Services