General > Compulsory Education in Scotland 1872
Compulsory Education in Scotland 1872
In 1872, the responsibility for education was transferred from churches to elected school boards, which provided compulsory education for children aged 5 to 13 years. The records of Tealing School Board meetings, from 1873 onwards, are a rich source of information about school times in the village. At the first meeting of the School Board on 8 April 1873, it was reported that five members had been elected:
Mr Alexander Bell, Farmer, Balnuith, Tealing
Mr Bell was elected Chairman of the Board and the Parochial Schoolmaster, Mr Alexander Menzies (the Dominie), was appointed Treasurer and Clerk. The Board had considerable powers and effectively ran all of the affairs of the school, including the appointment of staff, responsibility for the standard of education provided and all financial matters.
CENSUS OF EDUCATION 1873
It was also reported that, at that time, there were three schools in the area:
Between them, the three schools had accommodation for up to 210 pupils. The condition of the Public School and Free Church buildings was described as "good", Balkello being described as "indifferent".
Copyright ©2016 Tealing Community Council. All Rights Reserved.
Tealing is a small village in Angus in the north east of Scotland. This community website contains lots of useful information, including more details on Tealing Community Council, Tealing Hall, Tealing School, Tealing WRI, Tealing Guild, Tealing line dancing, Tealing church services, Tealing Wednesday club, Tealing businesses, properties for sale in Tealing and Tealing events etc.